Philippine Politics 🇵🇭
Pinned Message
Breaking news, analyses, and context about the biggest political developments in the Philippines, from Rappler's political reporters and editors
Department of Budget and Management Acting Secretary Kim Robert De Leon formally submitted the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 National Expenditure Program to President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. in Malacañang on Monday, August 10. @here
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Why is the 2027 budget so critical? Think of the ayudas, soft and hard pork that politicians could use ahead of the 2028 elections. It’s also the budget for Marcos’ last full year in office. Here’s how much budget the Marcos government wants @here: https://www.rappler.com/philippines/marcos-jr-administration-proposed-budget-2027/
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
These are the top 10 agencies with the biggest budget based on the 2027 National Expenditure Program. @here
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
As mandated by law, the Department of Education gets the biggest share with a proposed budget of P976 billion.
DepEd is followed by the Department of Public Works and Highways, seeking a P664 billion budget for 2027.
How much is DPWH seeking for flood control projects in 2027? The Department of Public Works and Highways is seeking P107.4 billion for flood control projects under its proposed budget for 2027, acting Budget Secretary Kim De Leon said on Tuesday, August 11. This is 16% of the agency's total proposed budget of P664 billion. @here
Hi @here! I’m Jelo Mantaring, education reporter. Interested to follow how lawmakers will react with the proposed 2027 budget for the education sector.
The Philippines is aiming again to meet the recommended education spending benchmark of 4% to 6% of GDP.
Under the 2027 National Expenditure Program, the DepEd seeks P976 billion. That’s just 2.94% of GDP.
Acting Budget Secretary Kim Robert de Leon said total education spending would be 3.96% if proposed funding for higher education (which includes CHED and state universities and colleges), TESDA, and science education institutes will be added to the list.
De Leon said they are waiting the figures of Bangsamoro region’s education spending for 2027, which could push up the total proposed allocation to 4% of GDP.
The People’s Budget Coalition previously flagged that education spending under the 2026 NEP did not meet the 4% benchmark.
The group said including BARMM’s education budget and the Special Education Fund of LGUs in the computation was misleading. The government should not also include agencies with education components, even if they are not directly related to education.
During the 2026 budget process, the DepEd asked for over P926 billion under the 2026 NEP, before it got a huge bump to P1 trillion under the 2026 General Appropriations Act.
The whole education sector received an allocation of P1.34 trillion under the 2026 GAA, according to the Marcos administration.
Of course, the increase was made possible after funding for flood control projects for 2026 was slashed and realigned to different sectors.
So will the Philippines truly meet the 4% of GDP benchmark for education spending in 2027? Let’s see.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. expresses condolences to the government and people of Colombia over the deaths and devastation caused by a powerful magnitude 7.4 earthquake.
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Senator Migz Zubiri on Wednesday, August 12, refuted allegations by former Department of Public Works and Highways secretary Manuel Bonoan that he was in talks with Zubiri, then Senate president, about the allegedly allocated P24 billion in DPWH funds for the senators’ leadership fund. “For the record, as Senate President, I never requested, held, or handled any list of project requests from senators. I refused to handle any such list. Walang pong dumaan na proposed budget amendments sa ating tanggapan. Alam ng mga senador yan. Lahat ng request ay coursed through the Senate Committee on Finance, na siyang tagapangasiwa ng budget process sa Senado,” Zubiri said. Bonoan made the allegation while testifying before the Sandiganbayan Third Division on Wednesday.
Ex-Zamboanga del Norte governor dies nearly 2 weeks after brother Jalosjos Sr.
Former Zamboanga del Norte Governor Rosalina Jalosjos, 79, died on Friday, August 14, less than 2 weeks after the passing of his older brother Romeo Jalosjos Sr.
The City Government of Dapitan confirmed the news through a statement posted on its official Facebook page.
"We remember Ma’am Nene not only for the positions she held and the years she devoted to public service, but for the gentleness, warmth, and genuine care with which she led," the city government said.
Rosalina Jalosjos served as mayor of Dapitan from 2013 before she ran and won as governor of Zamboanga del Norte in the 2022 elections.
"To many Dapitanons, she will be remembered as a loving and compassionate leader whose presence carried a quiet strength and whose service left a lasting place in the story of our city and our province," the statement furthered.
In 2025, the younger Jalosjos sought mayorship in Dipolog City but lost to former governor Roberto Uy. The Uys, like the Jalosjoses, are a political dynasty entrenched in the province for 27 years.
Meanwhile, former Dapitan councilor Jezebel Balisado posted on his official Facebook page confirming the ex-governor's death.
"Nay Nene Jalosjos...you will always be remembered by everyone and so many people lives you've touched." Balisado stated.
Her brother Romeo Sr. passed away last August 2 which burial is scheduled tomorrow, August 15.
As of writing, there are no further details released regarding her death. (via Kean Bagaipo/Move PH)
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Good morning! The House of Representatives begins deliberations on the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget today. First up are the agencies under the Development Budget Coordination Committee. Follow our coverage throughout the day. @here
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Here’s the order of presentation of agencies: BSP DepDev DOF DBM
Here are the 10 agencies and sectors with the biggest proposed allocations under the 2027 National Expenditure Program (NEP), https://www.rappler.com/philippines/top-10-agencies-biggest-allocations-proposed-2027-budget/?_thumbnail_id=3221784
For 2027, the Marcos administration is seeking P112 billion in unprogrammed appropriations. This is significantly lower compared to the previous years. Here's the breakdown https://www.rappler.com/philippines/unprogrammed-appropriations-budget-proposal-2027/
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
A huge chunk or 34% of the proposed budget is earmarked for social services.
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Under the 2027 National Expenditure Program, acting Budget Secretary Kim De Leon said P1.467 trillion is earmarked for President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s Build Better More infrastructure program. The allocation is spread across several government agencies, not just the Department of Public Works and Highways.
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Tiangco questions why House’s 2027 proposed budget skips pre-plenary deliberations Navotas District Representative Toby Tiangco questioned House appropriations committee chairperson Mika Suansing on why the House of Representatives’ proposed 2027 budget was not scheduled for pre-plenary budget deliberations.
Thumbnail not available.
Click to view the full image.
Tinio questions zero DPWH flood control project for Davao Region in proposed 2027 budget ACT Teachers Representative Antonio Tinio questioned the Department of Budget and Management after noting that Davao Region has no allocation under the DPWH’s flood management program in the proposed 2027 budget. Acting Budget Secretary Kim De Leon said the proposal was based on DPWH’s submission and deferred to the agency for an explanation.
Finance Secretary Frederick Go and acting Budget Secretary Kim De Leon clarify that there's no budget allocated for Pax Silica in the proposed 2027 budget.
DPWH clarified that P2.024 billion is allocated for priority flood mitigation projects across the Davao Region under the proposed 2027 budget. The funding covers the construction and maintenance of flood mitigation structures and drainage systems along the Agusan River under the Mindanao River Basin program, as well as the construction and rehabilitation of major river basins in the region, among other projects.
"These projects have passed a strict list of documentary requirements as instituted by the Department to ensure that every entry in the proposed DPWH 2027 budget is implementable and will truly benefit communities covered by these projects," DPWH said in a statement on Monday, August 17.
This is in response to an earlier statement of ACT Teachers Representative Antonio Tinio, stating that the Davao Region has no allocation under the DPWH’s flood management program in the proposed 2027 budget.
How many classrooms could be built in proposed 2027 budget?
The government is seeking to fund the construction of 6,587 new classrooms in the proposed 2027 national budget, the Department of Budget and Management said.
The Department of Education is also committing the completion of 700 classrooms next year, the DBM added.
Under the 2027 National Expenditure Program, the DepEd is allocated P30.55 billion for its Basic Education Facilities Fund.
More details on the proposed DepEd’s 2027 budget:
https://www.rappler.com/philippines/department-education-budget-2027/
Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board Chairman Vigor Mendoza II and Office of Transportation Cooperatives Chief Teofilo Guadiz III have been placed under six-month preventive suspension, the Office of the Ombudsman announced on Tuesday, August 18.
Mendoza and Guadiz, both former Land Transportation Office (LTO) chiefs, were suspended over the continued use of the STRADCOM-operated LTO information technology system, which resulted in an additional P13.3 billion in computer fees. @here
COA found that this caused an “additional burden and expense for the transacting public” due to computer fees charged by STRADCOM, “which amounted to PhP13,379,196,499.73” from 2019 to 2025.